Friday, July 26, 2013

Cave man time and a closed visitor center in Cannonville, Utah


A Sunday Morning, May 2013

Jim was in his man cave mode so I took off exploring on my own ... heading south on Utah Bypass 12 for Kodachrome Basin State Park to do a photo-shoot hike through the towering spires in the canyon.

I had just made the turn to go through Cannonville onto Kodachrome when I see this Visitor Center sign; I do a quick U-turn at the only stop sign in town and go back to check it out. Unfortunately, the Grande Staircase-Escalante National Monument's Cannonville Visitor Center  was closed.

I was bummed, but thought they did a good job with the outdoor displays.  Through a snapshot back in time, you can see how geography affected the Paiute (Utah's historical tribe arriving in A.D. 1100-1200) and 19th century pioneers to settle on this beautiful but unforgiving landscape.  What a difficult life they had.



I peeked through the windows of the Visitor Center and saw wonderful artifacts and a topographic relief model of the 1.9 million acre monument.  Never made it back when they were open, but what I saw gave me a good insight how life was like before this little town (1.2 square miles) of Cannonville, Utah was founded in 1874.  The last census I could find was the 2000 population of 148.  The town's namesake was early Mormon pioneer George Q. Cannon.


Early pioneer style of fencing





I can't even imagine trying to live and raise a family in this
water willow hut ... we're roughing it in a 40' coach!








So why this story about a closed Visitor Center?

After a career life of mostly self-imposed anal strict schedules and procedures; I challenged my retired self to learn to be flexible and spontaneous.  I'm happy to report I making headway.

This quick stop proved interesting and educational; and that's another retirement challenge ... learn something new everyday.

So thanks for coming along with me and hope you'll be back soon.

Wishing you safe travels!
    Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment